Monday 19 September 2011

HC Vitkovice @ HC Plzen 1929


Yesterday, I experienced a surprising introduction to the world of Czech professional hockey. For starters, I didn't even know there was a game going on until two hours before puck-drop. My only clue was the mob of rowdy fans that got off our train which took us from Prague to Plzen yesterday afternoon. This was a pleasant surprise, and I just had to find out more. 

After some interrogation of our hotel's receptionist, I learned that HC Plzen was kicking off their 2011 Extraliga campaign just a fifteen minute walk away. He showed me directions on a map, but mentioned that I would probably hear which way to go before actually seeing the arena. Sure enough, for the last five minutes of my walk I was guided by the subtle sounds of a local punk-rock group playing in a tent in front of CEZ Arena. After buying my ticket (200 Czech koruna or about $11 Canadian), I stayed outside to indulge in the internationally renowned culinary duo of sausage and beer. Even though it was raining steadily, there were hundreds of fans doing the same.

The friendly confines of CEZ Arena

As I found my seat (more accurately a small space on a bench that spanned the whole row), I started watching warm-up. This is where I was again pleasantly surprised. The first player to catch my eye was a tall defenseman for the away team, the Vitkovice Steel. He looked oh-so familiar. Then when he turned his back to me, I saw his name: Malik! 

That right there was worth the price of admission. I had no clue that mediocre NHL D-man and hero of the longest shootout in the League's history, Marek Malik, would be a part of this game that I was lucky to even find out about. It turns out Malik is now wearing the 'A' for the team where he started his professional career back in 1993 before making his NHL debut with the Hartford Whalers a year later. 

Marek Malik of the Vitkovice Steel

After reluctantly prying my eyes away from Mr. Malik, I started noticing that the majority of Plzen fans were wearing jerseys with Straka on the back. It didn't take me long to find the Plzen captain; it was indeed former Penguins first-rounder Martin Straka. This guy is now playing for his hometown team, eleven years after he put up a career-best 95 points on a line with fellow countrymen Jan Hrdina and Jaromir Jagr. Not only is Straka Plzen's captain, he is also the General Manager and co-owner. 

Some other former NHLers included Tomas Kaberle's older brother Frantisek, and Jaroslav Hlinka who played for the Avalanche four years ago.

After a brief moment of silence in remembrance of the three Czech players (Josef Vasicek, Karel Rachunek and Jan Marek) who died in the KHL plane crash earlier this month, it was time for hockey. It took just 35 seconds for Vitkovice to score a power-play goal, which was followed by another goal just 40 seconds later. Not exactly the best way for the home team to start the season, especially since the second goal was a floater from the blueline. 

This is where I found a major difference between NHL and Extraliga games. If an NHL team surrendered two goals in less than two minutes at home, you would certainly be able to hear a pin drop. The crowd would only get back in the game after their team responded, be it through a goal, huge hit or a fight. However the Plzen faithful never stopped cheering on their boys; nearly every whistle would be met with a chorus of booming cheers and synchronized clapping. 

Finally, the fans were rewarded. With one minute left in the first, Pavel Mrna wristed one in from a foot outside the blueline, a goal that was identical to the one that saw Plzen go down 2-0. The home side carried their momentum into the second, scoring just two minutes in. Seven minutes later, Frantisek Kaberle's one-timer from right in front made it 3-2. 

The third period saw only one goal, which was scored by Vitkovice's captain Jiri Burger with nine minutes left. The game went into overtime, and finally a shootout. Ondrej Kratena scored on Plzen's first attempt and goaltender Adam Svoboda stopped all Vitkovice's tries, giving the home team a victory.


HC Plzen Co-Owner, GM and Captain Martin Straka

This game was a delight, especially for a hockey nut who has been deprived of a live professional game since November 30,2009. The atmosphere inside CEZ Arena was crazy, and makes me wonder if it's like this every game or whether it was just a hockey-hungry crowd eagerly taking in the first regular season game of the year. 

Either way, I loved every minute of my introduction to European professional hockey, and now include myself as a part the HC Plzen 1929 fanbase.

No comments:

Post a Comment