Friday 1 February 2013

Super Bowl XLVII Prop Bets Preview

With all the hoopla surrounding Ray Lewis and the Harbaugh brothers leading into Super Bowl XLVII, the Redshirt Freshmen decided to preview the big game by discussing some of Vegas' more unusual proposition bets. Not sure what colour the winning team's Gatorade will be? You've come to the right place.

1. How long will it take Alicia Keys to sing the US National Anthem? - Over/ Under 2 minutes 10 seconds

Daugulis: I'm taking the over on this one. Check out what Alicia Keys recently tweeted:
If she has big things planned for the worst award show going, she certainly has big things planned for the freakin' Super Bowl! Expect this baby to approach the 3 minute mark.

Dow: I just sang the Star Spangled Banner in my head while looking at a clock, and it took me 1 minute and 8 seconds. That leaves just over one minute for Alicia Keys to add crazy fluctuations and possibly a key change or two. I'm going with the under.

2. What predominant color will Beyonce's top be at the beginning of the Super Bowl Halftime show?

Daugulis: You have to go 'green' here, at 15-to-1 odds. Just too much value, plus B would look great in an emerald top.

Dow: Emerald is so Super Bowl XLIV. Beyonce has a timeless fashion sense, and what's more timeless than gold? Plus, picking gold (at 5-to-2 odds) also pays out if the singer wears yellow. And you thought there were no locks in gambling.

3. Will Beyonce be joined by Jay Z on stage during the Super Bowl Halftime Show? - Yes (+100), No (-140)

Daugulis: I'm leaning towards 'yes' because—and this has kind of flown under the radar—Beyonce and Jay-Z are in fact married.

Dow: Jay-Z is the Man. As the Man, Hova knows when and when not to split the spotlight with his talented wife. This Sunday expect Jigga to stay in his ulta-luxury suite and let Beyonce own the stage at halftime.

4. Which coach will be shown first during the game? - Jim Harbaugh (1/1), John Harbaugh (1/1), Split screen shot of both (4/1)

Daugulis: Take the split screen here. That's the extent of my analysis. 

Dow: I'll go with Jim. He's more likely to lose his mind after a botched coin toss, which will surely get him on screen early in this one.

5. How many times will Harbaugh be said during the game? - Over/ Under 21.5

Daugulis: Over, and it's not even close. I mean think about it: both coaches will probably be mentioned 8-10 times, and then there are the parents, who are bound to be shown more than once per quarter.

Dow: This one will be close, but I'm going over. You can expect Jim Nantz will be mindful of not overplaying the Harbaugh angle, while no sane human can rationally expect Phil Simms to be mindful of anything. What I do expect is that Simms will leave me utterly confused way more than 21.5 times.

6. What color will the Gatorade (or liquid) be that is dumped on the Head Coach of the Super Bowl winning team?

Daugulis: I'm taking yellow at 2-to-1 odds. The value isn't great, but Lemon-Lime is the standard.



Dow: If it was up to me, I would be showered in a jug of Grape G2 every morning after a night of drinking. Unfortunately purple is not an option, so I'm going with clear/water, which is what John Harbaugh was doused in after these teams squared off on Thanksgiving last year.

7. How long will the post-game handshake/ hug last between Jim and John Harbaugh? - Over/ Under 7 seconds

Daugulis: Under. Do me a favor and hug whoever you're in the room with while counting to 7-Mississippi. That was a weirdly long hug, right?

Dow: Over. These guys are under strict motherly orders to "be nice boys" this Sunday, so I expect a solid 5-6 second hug followed by a firm three second handshake.

8. Which player will score the first touchdown of the game?

Daugulis: Vernon Davis, at 9-to-1 odds. He's jacked and fast, so it could happen.

Dow: I'm taking Jacoby Jones at 25-to-1. I just have a feeling that the opening kickoff is being taken to house. If I'm wrong, there's still a chance Jones catches an errant deep ball intended for Torrey Smith and goes in for a TD.

9. Which player will win the Super Bowl MVP?

Daugulis: Ray Rice. He's got 12-to-1 odds, and is Baltimore's most consistent playmaker.

Dow: Colin Kaepernick. He's the favourite at 8-to-5, and I'm told QBs win this award from time to time.

10. Margin of Victory

Daugulis: Baltimore Ravens by 1-6 points. This game is going to be close regardless of who wins, so definitely pick the smallest spread possible. Why am I leaning towards the Ravens? Honestly, I don't know. All week I've been leaning towards San Francisco in this one, which means Baltimore will probably take it. I've picked against the Ravens throughout the playoffs, and they've proved me wrong at each step. So I'm caving. The 49ers defense is one of the best in the league, but also got gashed in the NFC Championship against Atlanta. Baltimore is probably the only team in the league that throws the deep-ball better than Atlanta, and I see them connecting on a couple bombs in this one. Kaepernick will be good, but not great, and the rest of the 49ers' offense just won't be able to put enough points on the board. Ultimately, Baltimore wins 31-27.

Dow: 49ers by 7-12 points. This game figures to be neck-and-neck from start to finish. With seemingly everyone picking Baltimore, I'm going with my second-favourite Harbaugh brother and San Fran. The Ray Lewis sideshow has gradually snowballed into the main event of media week, which could have the Ravens distracted. I expect the Niners to give up a couple big plays early in the game to the likes of Ray Rice and Torrey Smith but tighten up in the second half. Kaepernick will have to feel this one out and know his limitations. No way will he run wild like he did against the Packers, so it might be up to Frank Gore and Vernon Davis to convert key short-yardage situations. With the late-season emergence of Michael Crabtree, it gives the Ravens' D one more weapon to worry about. I expect Joe Flacco to come back down to earth as he tries in vain to throw his way into Super Bowl History. The 49ers will take this one 21-13.

No comments:

Post a Comment